Dillard Langus Cooper

M, b. 10 September 1814, d. 1896

Dillard Cooper (picture emailed from Linda Barnes 12/4/2017)
  • Last Edited: 21 Jan 2018
  • Note: He was 6 ft tall, light hair, blue eyes, said Mrs. Fannie A. D. Darden, who, in 1870, preserved Cooper's recollections of the massacre.
  • Emigration*: He emigrated in 1833 from Jackson County, Alabama.
  • Military*: He served in the Texian Militia during War for Texas Independence between 1835 and 1836 served under Capt. John Shackelford's Red Rovers, landing at Copano Bay in Jan 1836. Cooper was slightly wounded at the battle of Coleto but escaped the Goliad Massacre.
  • Military: He served between 1835 and 1836 SONS OF DEWITT COLONY TEXAS
    © 1997-2001, Wallace L. McKeehan, All Rights Reserved
    Goliad Massacre-Index | Independence-Index
    Previous page 1
    Massacre at Goliad--Diverse Accounts
    For Biographies, Search Handbook of Texas Online

    Escape of the Four
    Alabama Red Rovers
    Dillard Cooper's Remembrances of the Fannin Massacre
    From Rangers and Pioneers of Texas by A.J. Sowell 1884 as reprinted from the American Sketch Book 1881. According to James T. DeShields in Tall Men With Long Rifles, Cooper died in extreme poverty in the 1890's in Llano, TX stating "during his latter years the pitiful pension of $150.00 a year, provided by the great and opulent state of Texas, barely sufficed to buy food and medicines for the aged hero and his faithful wife. Napoleon was not far wrong when he said 'Republics are ungrateful.'"
    ......several....cried out for mercy. I remember one, a young man, who had been noted for his piety, but who had afterwards become somewhat demoralized by bad company, falling on his knees, crying aloud to God for mercy, and forgiveness. Others, attempted to plead with their inhuman captors, but their pleadings were in vain.....On my right hand, stood Wilson Simpson, and on my left, Robert Fenner....while some of them were rending the air with their cries of agonized despair, Fenner called out to them, saying: "Don't take on so, boys; if we have to die, let's die like brave men.....At that moment, I glanced over my shoulder and saw the flash of a musket.....
    On the morning of the 27th of March, 1836, about daylight, we were awakened by the guards, and marched out in front of the fort, where we were counted and divided into three different detachments, We had been given to understand that we were to be marched to Capono, and from there shipped to New Orleans. The impression, however, had in some way been circulated among us, that we were to be sent out that morning to hunt cattle; though I thought at the time that it could not be so, as it was but a poor way, to hunt cattle on foot.
    Our detachment was marched out in double file, each prisoner being guarded by two soldiers, until within about half a mile southwest of the fort, we arrived at a brush fence, built by the Mexicans. We were then placed in single file, and were half way between the guard and the fence, eight feet each way. We were then halted, when the commanding officer came up to the head of the line, and asked if there were any of us who understood Spanish. By this time, there began to dawn upon the minds of us, the truth, that we were to be butchered, and that, I suppose, was the reason that none answered. He then ordered us to turn our backs to the guards. When the order was given not one moved, and then the officer, stepping up to the man at, the head of the column, took him by the shoulders and turned him around.
    By this time, despair had seized upon our poor boys, and several of them cried out for mercy. I remember one, a young man, who had been noted for his piety, but who had afterwards become somewhat demoralized by bad company, falling on his knees, crying aloud to God for mercy, and forgiveness. Others, attempted to plead with their inhuman captors, but their pleadings were in vain, for on their faces no gleam of piety was seen for the defenseless men who stood before them. On my right hand, stood Wilson Simpson, and on my left, Robert Fenner. In the midst of the panic of terror which seized our men, and while some of them were rending the air with their cries of agonized despair, Fenner called out to them, saying: "Don't take on so, boys; if we have to die, let's die like brave men."
    At that moment, I glanced over my shoulder and saw the flash of a musket; I instantly threw myself forward on the ground, resting on my hands. Robert Fenner must have been instantly killed, for he fell with such force upon me as almost to throw me over as I attempted to rise, which detained me a few moments in my flight, so that Simpson, my companion on the right, got the start of me. As we ran towards an opening in the brush fence, which was almost in front of us, Simpson got through first, and I was immediately after him. I wore, at that time, a small, round cloak, which was fastened with a clasp at the throat. As I ran through the opening, an officer charged upon me, and ran his sword through my cloak, which would have held me, but I caught the clasp with both hands, and tore it apart, and the cloak fell from me. There was an open prairie, about two miles wide, through which I would have to run before I could reach the nearest timber, which was a little southwest of the place from where we started.
    I gained on my pursuers, but saw, between me and the timber, three others, who were after Simpson. As I neared the timber, I commenced walking, in order to recover my strength, before I came near them. When he first started, we were all near together, but as Simpson took a direct course across the prairie, I, in order to avoid his pursuers, took a circuitous course. There were two points of timber projecting into the prairie, one of which was nearer to me than the other. I was making for the furthest point, but as Simpson entered the timber, his pursuers halted, and then ran across and cut me off, I then started for the point into which Simpson had entered, but they turned and cut me oft from that. I then stopped running and commenced walking slowly between them and the other point. They, no doubt, thinking I was about to surrender myself, stopped, and I continued to walk within about sixty yards of them, when I suddenly wheeled and ran into the point for which I had first started. They did not attempt to follow me, but just as I was about to enter the timber, they fired, the bullets whistling over my head caused me to draw my head down as I ran.
    As soon as I entered the timber, I saw Simpson waiting and beckoning to me. I went towards him, and we ran together for about two miles, when we reached the river. We then stopped and consulted as to the best way of concealing ourselves. I proposed climbing a tree, but he objected, saying that should the Mexicans discover us, we would have no way of making our escape. Before we arrived at any conclusion, we heard some one coming, which frightened us so, that I jumped into the river, while Simpson ran a short distance up it, but seeing me, he also jumped in. The noise proceeded from the bank immediately above the spot where Simpson was, and I could see the place very plainly, and soon discovered that two of our companions had made their escape to this place. They were Zachariah Brooks, and Isaac Hamilton. In the fleshy part of both Hamilton's thighs were wounds, one made by a gun-shot and another by a bayonet.
    We all swam the river, and traveling up it a short distance, arrived at a bluff bank, near which was a thick screen of bushes, where we concealed ourselves. The place was about five miles above the fort. We did not dare proceed further that day, as the Mexicans were still searching for us, and Hamilton's wounds had become so painful as to prevent his walking, which obliged us to carry him. We remained there until about 10 o'clock that night, when we started forth, Simpson and myself carrying Hamilton, Brooks, though severely wounded, was yet able to travel. We had to proceed very cautiously and rather slowly.
    Fort La Bahia being southeast of us, and the point we were making for, was about where Goliad now stands. We proceeded, in a circuitous route in a northeasterly direction. We approached within a short distance of the fort, and could not at first account for the numerous fires we saw blazing. We were not long in doubt, for the sickening smell that was borne towards us by the south wind, informed us too well that they were burning the bodies of our companions. And, here, I will state what Mrs. Cash, who was kept a prisoner, stated afterwards; that some of our men were thrown into the flames and burned alive. We passed the fort safely, and reached a spring, where we rested from our journey and from whence we proceeded on our travels.
    But the night was foggy, and becoming bewildered, it was not long before we found ourselves at the spring from which we started. We again started out, and again found ourselves at the same place; but we had too much at stake to sink into despondency. So once more took our wounded companion, thinking we could not miss the right direction this time; but, at last when day began to break, to our great consternation, we found we had been traveling around the same spot, and were for the third time back at the identical spring from which we had at first set forth. It was now impossible to proceed further that day, as we dared not travel during the day, knowing we should be discovered by the Mexicans. We therefore concealed ourselves by the side of a slight elevation, amidst a thick undergrowth of bushes.
    By this time, we began to grow very hungry, and I remembered an elm bush that grew at the entrance of the timber where we were concealed, which formed an excellent commissary for us, and from the branches of which we partook, until nearly every limb was entirely stripped. About 9 o'clock that morning, we heard the heavy tramp of the Mexican army on the march; and they not long after that passed within a stone's throw of our place of concealment. It seems indeed, that we were guided by an over-ruling providence in not being able to proceed further that night, for as we were not expecting the Mexican army so soon, we would probably have been overtaken and discovered by them, perhaps in some prairie, where we could not have escaped.
    We remained in our hiding place the rest of the day, and resumed our journey after dark, still carrying our wounded companion. Whenever the enemy passed us, we had to conceal ourselves; and we laid several days in ponds of mud and water, with nothing but our heads exposed to view. When in the vicinity of Lavacca, we again got ahead of the Mexicans; and, after traveling all night, we discovered, very early in the morning of the ninth day, a house within a few hundred yards of the river. We approached it, and found the inhabitants had fled. When we entered the house, we discovered a quantity of corn, some chickens, and a good many eggs lying about in different places. Our stomachs were weak and revolted at the idea of eating them raw, so we looked about for some means of striking a fire, first searching for a rock, but failing to find one, we took an old chisel and ground it on a grindstone for about two hours, but could never succeed in getting the sparks to catch. We then concluded to return and try the eggs raw.
    We had taken one, and Simpson was putting on his shoes, which he had taken off to rest his feet, which were raw and bleeding, and had just got one on when he remarked: "Boys, we would be in a tight place if the Mexicans were to come upon us now." So saying, he walked to the window, when to his horror, there was the whole Mexican army not more than a mile and a half off, and fifteen or twenty horsemen coming at full speed within a hundred yards of us. We took up our wounded man and ran to the timber, which was not far off, Simpson leaving his shoe behind him. We got into the timber and concealed ourselves between the logs of two trees, the tops of which having fallen together, and being very thickly covered with leaves and moss, formed an almost impenetrable screen above and around us. We had scarcely hidden ourselves from view, when the Mexicans came swarming around us, shouting and hallooing through the woods, but did not find us. We heard them from time to time, all throughout the day and next night. The next morning, just before day, the noise of the Mexicans ceased, and we concluded they had left. Simpson then asked me to go with him to get his shoe, as it would be difficult for him to travel without it, and I consented to do so. We went out to the edge of the timber and stopped some time to take observations before proceeding further. Seeing nothing of the Mexicans, we proceeded to the house, found the shoe, and possessing ourselves of a couple of ears of corn, and a bottle of water, we returned to our companions. We had no doubt that the Mexicans had gone, so we sat down and drank the water and ate an ear of corn, when Brooks asked Simpson to go with him to the house, saying he would get a chicken, and we could eat it raw. They started, and had hardly got to the edge of the timber when I heard the sound of horses feet, and directly afterwards the Mexicans were to be seen in every direction. I was sure they had captured Simpson and Brooks. Soon I heard something in the brush near us, but did not know whether it was the boys or Mexicans, but it turned out to be the boys, who crept undercover, and, in a few minutes, four Mexicans came riding by, passing within a few feet of where we were lying, with our faces to the ground.
    After going into the woods a short distance they turned and passed out again, but it was not long after when six of them came riding quite close, three on each side of us, and leaning down and peering into our hiding place. It seemed to me they could have heard us, for my own heart seemed to raise me almost from the ground by its throbbings. I felt more frightened than I ever had been before; for at the time of the massacre, every thing had come on me so suddenly that my nerves had no time to become unstrung as they now were. The Mexicans passed and repassed us, through the day, so we dared not move from our hiding place. A guard was placed around us the following night, the main body having, no doubt, gone on, and left a detachment to search for us. I think they must have had some idea of our being some of Fannin's men, or they would scarcely have gone to that trouble. About 10 o'clock that night we held a consultation, and I told my companions it would not do to remain there any longer, as the Mexicans were aware of our place of concealment, and would surely discover us the next day. We all decided then to leave, and they requested me to lead the way out. I told them we would have to crawl through the timber and a short piece of prairie, until we crossed the road near which the Mexicans were posted; that they must be careful to remove every leaf and stick in the path, and to hold their feet up, only crawling on their hands and knees, as the least noise would betray us to the enemy.
    I was somewhat acquainted with the locality; for we were now not far from Texana, and I had some times hunted along these woods. Thus I led the way. Hamilton's wounds were so painful that we could move only slowly, and we must have been two hours crawling about 200 yards. When we at length passed the timber and reached the road, I stopped to make a careful survey of the situation. I could see the Mexicans placed along the road, about a hundred yards on each side of us. The moon was shining, but had sunk towards the west, which threw the shadow of a point of timber across the road, and concealed us from view. It would have been hard to discover us from the color of our clothes, as the earthy element with which they were mixed had entirely hidden the original fabric. We continued to crawl, until we reached a sufficient distance not to be discovered, when we rose up and walked. Although Hamilton had, with a great deal of pain, managed to crawl, yet it was impossible for him to walk, and his wounds had by this time become so much irritated and inflamed that he could scarcely bear to be carried. We traveled that night only a short distance, and hid ourselves in a thicket near a pond of water. Brooks had been trying to persuade me to leave Hamilton; but, although our progress was impeded by having to carry him, I could not entertain the idea for a moment. I indignantly refused, but still he would seize every opportunity to urge it upon me. He said it would be impossible for us to escape, burdened as we were with Hamilton. I could only acknowledge the truth of this, for it was a desperate case with us. The foe was around us in every direction. Brooks, finding that I was not to be persuaded, then attempted to influence Simpson.
    On the tenth day out, they took the bottle and went to the pond near by, for water. As they were returning, (I suppose Brooks did not know he was so near the place they left us), both Hamilton and myself heard Brooks urging Simpson to leave him. He told him if we remained with Hamilton, we would certainly lose our lives; but there was some slight chance of escaping, if we left him, and that Hamilton's wounds had become so much worse that he was bound to die, unless he could have rest; and, as we were doing him no good, and ourselves a great deal of injury by carrying him, it was, our duty to leave him. Now Brooks had never carried him a step; Simpson and myself having done that; yet Brooks was the first who had ever proposed leaving him; and, although there was a great deal of truth in what he was saying, yet I felt quite angry with him, as I heard him trying to persuade Simpson. Hamilton did not say a word to them when they came in, but sat with his face buried in his hands a long time.
    At length, he looked up, and said: "Boys, Brooks has told you the truth; I can not travel any further, and if you stay with me, all will be killed. Go and leave me, boys; if I have rest I may recover, and if I ever should get off safe, you shall hear from me again." He spoke so reasonably, and we were so thoroughly convinced of the truth of what he said, after a brief consultation, we decided to depart without him. Hamilton had known Brooks in Alabama; he called him to him, and gave him a gold watch and $40 in gold, telling him to give it to his mother. We then bade Hamilton farewell, all of us shedding tears as we parted, but when we turned to go, my resolution failed me, and I could not find it in my heart to leave him. I said: "Boys, don't let us leave him." But Simpson and Brooks said that we could do neither him nor ourselves any good by remaining, and that they were determined to go. I told them I would remain with him, and do the best I could for him. So they started off without me; but Hamilton insisted so much that I should leave him, that I again bade him farewell, and followed and soon overtook the others. The reason that we started off in the day, was that it was raining quite hard, and we thought there would not be much danger in traveling, but we had not gone more than half way through the next prairie. when the weather cleared up, and we saw the whole Mexican army encamped at Texana, about two miles off; but they did not discover us, and we succeeded in reaching the timber on the Navidad. In the evening we walked out to a slight eminence which overlooked the prairie, to reconnoitre. While gazing across the prairie, we could see three men on horseback, but so indistinct were they, that we could not at first tell whether they were Americans or Mexicans. As they approached, we hid in the undergrowth; and as they passed, we saw that they were Mexican couriers returning to the command.
    At eight we again started forth, and coming out on the prairie, we discovered a road, which we concluded had been made by the refugees in their retreat from the enemy. During all this time we had nothing to eat but leaves and herbs, and the two ears of corn that we got at the house on Lavacca river. On the twelfth day, we reached the Colorado, at Mercer's crossing. As we were very tired, we sat down on the bank to rest a little, before attempting to swim over. While sitting there, a dog on the opposite side of the river began to bark. When we heard that well-known sound, our very souls thrilled with joy, and that was the first time since the awful day of the massacre that a smile had ever illuminated our faces. We looked at each other, and then burst into a great big laugh. We were all good swimmers, but I some times took the cramp while swimming, so we concluded to cross on a log. We procured a dead mulberry pole, and hanging on to it, one at each end, and one in the middle, we crossed over to the land of freedom, and a land where we found plenty to eat. After recruiting a little, we procured horses, with the intention of joining Houston's army; but before we reached there, San Jacinto had been fought and won.
    It was more than a year before I ever heard any thing of Hamilton. He remained in the same place where we left him nine days, some times lying in the pond of water, which assuaged the pain of his wounds. At the end of that time he was so much improved that he essayed to walk to Texana, and succeeded in doing so. He said the best eating he ever had in his life, was when he first entered Texana, and ate the meat from the rawhides the Mexicans had left. The next morning he took a skiff, and made his way down to Dimmitt's landing. He had scarcely reached there when he was taken prisoner by a Mexican soldier. Not long after, other soldiers came in, and tying Hamilton on a mule, started for camp. He suffered so much from his wounds that he fainted several times, on the way. Whenever this occurred, they would untie him, lay him on the ground, and throw water into his face until he revived, when they would again mount him on the mule and proceed on their way. Hamilton remained in their hands for sometime and gradually grew well of his wounds. There was a Mexican who waited on him, who seemed much attached to him, and Hamilton was led to place much confidence in him. One morning, this Mexican told him that if he wanted to live another day, he must make his escape that night, as he had learned that he and two other prisoners were to be shot before morning. Hamilton then arranged a plan for the escape of himself and two of his companions, which was a success, after many trials and tribulations.
  • Note*: He is listed in the Republic of Texas Poll List for 1846, page 35 at Colorado County, Texas.
  • Census1850*: The 1850 Federal Census enumerated him as head of household in 1850 Colorado County, Texas.
  • Military: He served during Civil War Private, Fifth Regiment, Texas Infantry
    Jr. 2 Lt., Benavides' Regiment Texas Cavalry.

Family 1: Lucinda Fondren b. c 1814, d. 20 Aug 1878

Family 2: Elizabeth E. Goldson/Gholson b. 1812

Family 3: Amanda Talk b. Jul 1859, d. a 1930

Donald Lee Cooper

M, b. 1945, d. 30 June 2017
  • Last Edited: 2 Aug 2017
  • Birth*: Donald Lee Cooper was born in 1945.
  • Death*: He died on 30 June 2017.

Donnie V. Cooper

F, b. 2 March 1947, d. 29 March 1992
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Family: Hal Stuart Greene b. 9 Jan 1947

Dora Cooper

  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Doris Cooper

  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Family: (?) Routon

Dorothy Cooper

  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Durwood Cooper

  • Last Edited: 6 Aug 2006

Durwood Vaughn Cooper

M, b. 12 November 1935, d. 12 November 1935
  • Last Edited: 16 Apr 2017
  • Death*: Durwood Vaughn Cooper died on 12 November 1935.
  • Birth*: He was born on 12 November 1935 at Lavaca County, Texas,
  • Burial1*: and was buried at Hebron Cemetery.

Eady Cooper

F, b. 23 January 1799, d. 12 April 1852
  • Last Edited: 20 May 2017
  • Note*: She father-in-law, Allen Givens, was married to Eady's sister, Rhoda.

Family: James Givens b. 8 May 1798, d. 29 May 1880

Edward Cooper

M, b. 17 August 1773, d. 16 September 1883
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Birth*: Edward Cooper was born on 17 August 1773 at Spartanburg, South Carolina; or Wake County, North Carolina.
  • Marriage*: He married Susannah Cole, daughter of Thomas Cole and Martha Rice, in 1795.
  • Death*: Edward Cooper died on 16 September 1883 at age 110 probably between Pulaski County, Kentucky and Texas.

Family: Susannah Cole b. 1 Oct 1773, d. 1860

Edward Cooper

M, b. 1869
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Birth*: Edward Cooper was born in 1869.

Edward Greenlee Cooper

M, b. 1875
  • Last Edited: 4 Dec 2011
  • Marriage*: Edward Greenlee Cooper married Eliza Ann Hestand.
  • Birth*: Edward Greenlee Cooper was born in 1875 at Texas.

Edward Jerome "E. J." Cooper

M, b. 12 January 1915, d. 29 September 2003

E. J. Cooper

  • Last Edited: 18 Oct 2016
  • Occupation*: He was a retired pipefitter, general foreman and labor steward (15 years); truck driver and oil field worker.
  • Religion*: He was a Baptist, Mason, lay preacher and Mission Association delegate.
  • Note: He was about 4 years old when the family went on a trip to make harvests along the way of cotton corn, etc. They had a large travelers wagon with bunk beds and a kitchen on the back and two horses named Buttons and Bald Eagle. Sylvester, Earl and Lee rode on horses. The younger children rode in the wagon. At night they would stop at a wagon yard (like today's motel) where a shed for the wagon and two horse stalls were furnished. In back was a place to build a fire to cook on. It was up high enough so one didn't have to squat down to tend the fire. The family lived in the wagon while staying there.
  • (Witness) Residence: He witnessed the residence of Marshall Jerone Cooper and Mary Adeline "Addie" Rice between 1929 and 1930 at 13 Anderson St, Houston, Texas.
  • Occupation: Edward Jerome "E. J." Cooper was a magazine hd at Houston Textile Mills between 1929 and 1930 at Houston, Texas.
  • (Witness) Census1930: The 1930 Federal Census enumerated him as a member of Marshall Jerone Cooper's household; Cooper, Marshall, head, renter, monthly rent 20, married, age at first marriage 28, cannot read and write, night watchman, textile mill, Mary A, wife, f/w/54, age at first marriage 24, can read and write, born Texas, father and mother born Texas, Lee, son, m/w/22, born Texas, insurance agent, Jewel, daughter, f/w/20,born Texas, textile mill filler, Harper, son, m/w/17, born Texas, textile mill napper.
  • Census1940*: The 1940 Federal Census enumerated him as head of household on on 3 April 1940 1713, Houston, Harris, Texas, was a truckdriver for a steel company; wage $1070, worked 48 hours/week. Juanita last lived in Willis, Montgomery County, TX.
  • Note*: Edward Jerome "E. J." Cooper was a Little League sponsor and manager in the state playoffs between 1968 and 1969.

Family: Juanita Delores Moody b. 16 Nov 1920, d. 1 Apr 2005

Edward Nelson Cooper

M, b. 5 January 1832, d. 8 March 1901
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Edwin Lee Cooper

M, b. 2 August 1888, d. 5 November 1918
  • Last Edited: 4 Dec 2011
  • (Witness) Census1900: The 1900 Federal Census enumerated him as a member of William Cader "Billy" or "W.C." Cooper's household; head of household, age 44, born Mississippi; Hattie, wife, age 34, born Texas; John S., son, age 20, born Texas; Presley, son, age 15, born Texas;Edmund, son, age 13, born Texas; Alonso V., son, age 9, born Texas; Minnie, daughter, age 6, born Texas; arthur, son, age 2, born Texas.
  • Military*: Edwin Lee Cooper served in the World War I in 1917 Draft Registration Card: married, 1 child; farmer, self-employed.

Family: Mary Agnes Berry b. 31 Oct 1892, d. 5 Jan 1977

Effie Pearl Cooper

F, b. 14 March 1902, d. 16 September 1958

Effie Cooper and John Dodd

  • Last Edited: 30 Apr 2017
  • Birth*: Effie Pearl Cooper was born on 14 March 1902 at DeWitt County, Texas.
  • Marriage*: She married John P. Dodd in 1937.
  • Divorce*: Effie Pearl Dodd and John P. Dodd were divorced.
  • Death*: Effie Pearl Dodd died on 16 September 1958 at 3917 Irvington, Houston, at age 56
  • Burial1*: and was buried at Hollywood Cemetery.
  • Obituary: "Mrs Effie Pearl Cooper Dodd was about 25 years old, living at home with her family and doing seamstress work, when she felt the call to preach. From then on her life was devoted to religion.
    She preached the Full Gospel doctrine for the Pentecostal movement. She once had her own church at Bertram for three years. She traveled to many Texas towns as substitute preacher or evangelist.
    Born in DeWitt County, on the family farm, she was the second eldest of nine children; it was in helping to rear them that she learned to ply her needle so artfully.
    A large woman, about six feet tall, with a kind, friendly face, she had nimble fingers that could sew the most delicate of stitches or twist colored paper into lovely flowers. Some of her work was for gifts, some for sale for funds for the church.
    She was 35 when she married a Spanish-American War veteran 21 years ago. Mrs Dodd came to Houston in 1926. Ill for seven years, she lived with a sister, Miss Jewell Cooper, at 3917 Irvington Blvd.
    Baptized at Irvington Pentecostal Church, she was a state worker with young people for the Pentecostal movement, and many pastors throughout the state first got their start under her leadership. 'Often she'd put some of the more timid ones on the young people's program to help them get confidence,' Miss Cooper said.
    Mrs Mary Bowen, Irvington Pentecostal pastor, said Mrs Dodd 'blessed the lives of others and felt she was prepared to meet the Lord.'
    All 35 members of her church choir took time off from their jobs today to sing at services for her in the church this morning."
  • (Witness) Census1910: The 1910 Federal Census enumerated her as a member of Marshall Jerone Cooper's household; Cooper, Marshall, head, m/w/37, married 10 years, born Texas, father and mother born Alabama, farmer, renter, Addie M., wife, f/w/34, 7 children, born Texas, father and mother born Texas, Amy G., daughter, f/w/9, born Texas, Effie, f/w/8, born Texas, Sylvester, son, m/w/6, born Texas, Earl W.m/w/4, born Texas, Lee D., son, m/w/2, born Texas, Jewell, daughter, f/w/ 0/12, born Texas, Newell, son, m/w/0/12, born Texas, Amy H, mother, f/w/74, 7 children, 5 alive, born Alabama, father and mother born North Carolina.
  • Residence*: Effie Pearl Cooper resided between 1929 and 1930 at 3403 Roseland Ave. Apt 1, Houston, Texas; was a cashier for Walgreen Texas Company.
  • Census1930*: The 1930 Federal Census enumerated her as head of household on 12 April 1930 Precinct 1, Houston, Harris County, Texas; living as lodger in household of Janie Wallace Hale at 1111 Fannin St., cashier at a shoe store. Found John P. Dodd at 1219 Providence Street, roomer, age 58, widow, age 24 at first marriage, born Texas, father born Tennessee, mother born Mississippi, Salvation Army solicitor.
  • Note*: She and Jewel Lillie Cooper owned and operated a Baptist Book Store and day nursery on Irvington Street in Houston.
  • (Witness) Census1940: The 1940 Federal Census enumerated Effie Pearl Dodd as a member of John P. Dodd's household; worked as a solicitor for Salvation Army.

Family: John P. Dodd b. 28 Oct 1871, d. 19 Nov 1946

Eldred Marek Cooper

M, b. 1922, d. 2014
  • Last Edited: 12 Jul 2017
  • Birth*: Eldred Marek Cooper was born in 1922.
  • Death*: He died in 2014.

Eldridge Lanear Cooper

M, b. 16 December 1931, d. 4 November 1998

Eldridge Cooper

  • Last Edited: 12 Oct 2016
  • Birth*: Eldridge Lanear Cooper was born on 16 December 1931 at Cuero, DeWitt County.
  • Marriage*: He married Margie Grubbs on 21 January 1966 at Harris County.
  • Death*: Eldridge Lanear Cooper died on 4 November 1998 at Oakwood, Leon County, Texas, at age 66.
  • Burial*: He was buried at Rosewood Cemetery, Harris County.
  • (Witness) Census1940: The 1940 Federal Census enumerated Eldridge Lanear Cooper as a member of William Earl Cooper's household; was a rivet sticker in the structrual steel industry; worked 52 hrs/wk, wages $663; owned home, value $400.
  • Education*: Eldridge Lanear Cooper was educated at Aldine High School, Aldine.
  • Occupation*: He was the owner and manager of Cooper Plumbing Company at New Caney, Texas.
  • Religion*: He was a Baptist.

Family 1:

Family 2: Margie Grubbs b. 29 Dec 1935, d. Mar 1999

Eliza Cooper

F, b. 28 December 1819, d. 22 August 1851
  • Last Edited: 8 Feb 2009
  • (Witness) Census1830: The 1830 Federal Census enumerated her as a member of Cader Cooper's household; Cooper, Cader, head; males: under 5=1 (Albert); 5-10=1 (John); 30-40=1 (Cader); females under 5=1 (Mary Jane); 5-10=2 (Eliza, Elizabeth); 10-15=1 (Nancy); 20-30=1 (Sarah); no slaves, no free colored.
  • (Witness) Census1850: The 1850 Federal Census enumerated her as a member of David C. Hefner's household.

Family: David C. Hefner b. 21 Feb 1812, d. 1 Jul 1862

Eliza Cooper

F, b. 14 April 1785
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Birth*: Eliza Cooper was born on 14 April 1785.

Eliza Cooper

F, b. after 1824
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Birth*: Eliza Cooper was born after 1824.

Eliza Jane Cooper

F, b. 25 March 1859
  • Last Edited: 7 Sep 2008

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. 7 November 1823
  • Last Edited: 8 Feb 2009
  • (Witness) Census1830: The 1830 Federal Census enumerated her as a member of Cader Cooper's household; Cooper, Cader, head; males: under 5=1 (Albert); 5-10=1 (John); 30-40=1 (Cader); females under 5=1 (Mary Jane); 5-10=2 (Eliza, Elizabeth); 10-15=1 (Nancy); 20-30=1 (Sarah); no slaves, no free colored.
  • Census1850*: The 1850 Federal Census enumerated her as head of household in 1850 Kemper County, Mississippi; with Thomas Owens, age 55, miller and next door to sister Eliza and David Hefner.

Family: Haslet (Haskill) Owens

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. 1770
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Marriage*: Elizabeth Cooper married John Arnold.
  • Birth*: Elizabeth Cooper was born in 1770.

Family: John Arnold

Elizabeth Cooper

  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. circa 1807, d. 1883
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Family: George Jasper

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. after 1824
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Birth*: Elizabeth Cooper was born after 1824.

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. 1783
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006

Family: Isiah Starkey

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. 14 August 1829, d. 28 May 1886
  • Last Edited: 4 Dec 2011

Family: Asa William Tindall b. 12 Aug 1809, d. 7 Apr 1895

Elizabeth Cooper

F, b. 1847
  • Last Edited: 13 May 2006
  • Birth*: Elizabeth Cooper was born in 1847 at Texas.